Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Fed Up

There are quite a few things in sports these days that really get on my nerves. I thought I'd take the time to rant and rave a little bit about those things.

I'm fed up with Bud Selig. The man belongs in an old folk's home. Seriously, 2012 cannot come soon enough. In my opinion he's done one good thing during his tenure. The Wildcard. Think about what else his term as commissioner has given us. The DH? One of the main contributors to the lack of defense in this era of baseball. Players no longer need to have those 5 tools. They can just hit. A strike? Sure it has happened before but it definitely doesn't help his track record look any better. Bud Selig is the reason for the only tie in All-Star game history. A game where both teams, both managers and all of the fans wanted to see the game go on. Do i even have to mention the steroid era? I will. The biggest smudge on the history of baseball just managed to happen during Selig's time as well. Do me a favor, take a page out of Donal Fehr's playbook and hang up the spikes big guy.

I'm fed up with Manny Ramirez. Sure Manny, being Manny was cute for a while. Showing up in the bicycle cart to spring training was pretty funny. And scaling the wall to make a catch, giving a fan a high five, and wheeling back to the infield to get the runner at second base for the double play is one of the most amazing plays I've ever seen. he's fun to watch but the fact that he will be right back in the lineup on July 3rd is absurd. Juan Pierre (Manny's replacement) is hitting .329 with 17 stolen bases from the lead off spot. He's been no doubt the spark that has led to the Dodgers success this season. When Manny comes back from his 50 game suspension, Pierre will be force back to the bench, where he will get no more than two starts a week. I guess you could say I'm sort of fed up with Joe Torre as well.

I'm fed up with Tiger Woods. Don't get me wrong. he is THE greatest golfer in the history of the sport. He has more passion than anybody in the game today. He wants to win and i have nothing but deep respect for that. But what I'm fed up with, is when Tiger doesn't when a tournament, I still have to see every one of his 68 strokes from that round on Sports Center that night. If the guy wins the tournament, then i have no problem with the whole highlight being devoted to him. But when he finishes 3rd or lower, how about giving a little bit of credit to the guy that won? Maybe even the guy that got second and challenged the guy that won.

I'm fed up with the University of Texas Longhorns. Well their fans. Well the ones who call themselves fans when they win. You have this ridiculous belief that you are the best. You aren't the best. In fact, look at the major sports. Football. You're 4 national championships are impressive. Especially compared to Notre Dame's 8, USC, Oklahoma and Alabama's 7, and Ohio State, Nebraska and Miami's 5. 4's good though... Basketball. Well this is easy...big GOOSE EGG. That means zero. UTEP has won more NCAA Basketball National Championships than you. And your 3 Final Four appearances aren't really much to write home about, considering U of H has been to twice as many. Baseball. You actually come up just short in this one. And by just short I mean that USC has double your 6 wins in almost half of the appearances. Better win tomorrow, or LSU will be right there with you at 6.

I'm fed up with this article. So I'm out for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment