Tuesday, June 9, 2009

No Bang For Your Buck

For those of you who know me, you know i hate the large market, dynasty, professional sports teams. I'm sick of seeing all 19 Yankees/Red Sox games every season. I cringe at the thought of the Lakers winning another title. I just flat out hate the Cowboys. I don't know why I have this hatred. It could be because I worship a sports town that is about as Low Market as it gets. Or it could be that I just dont like mainstream stuff. I dont buy into Red Sox nation, and i liked the Rays before they won the AL. Thats just the kind of person i am. But something recently came to my attention that made me feel 100% stronger about this.

I was looking up the Astros schedule trying to find interesting games and good deals on tickets for those games. I got distracted, as I easily do, and started looking at the different promotions that they had. Roy O bobble head is coming up Thursday and its half price tickets. Sounds like a winner. But this got me thinking. I wonder what types of promotions other teams give?

Naturally I went to the Indians first. To my astonishment, they have have a promotion scheduled for every single night. Not everyone is big, maybe a fireworks show on Friday, or a charity event on Wednesday. But every single home game they are doing something to give back to the fans and the community. They see the true spirit of the game. Its about the fans and the kids. It wasnt just the Indians, It was the Angels, and the Braves, and the Rangers...Until i got greedy and decided to look at the Yankees.

7 Promotions scheduled for the whole year. One of which i will add was a Yankee Stadium Soup Bowl available to all fans. TELL ME WHAT 10 YEAR OLD WANTS A FRIGGIN SOUP BOWL. More surprisingly than that, the Boston Red Sox had NO scheduled promotions for the rest of the year.

Its not about the consumer, its about how much money George Steinbrenner can fit in his pocket. Recently at a game, my dad told me about a time when they had Bat Giveaway Day. Every fan under a certain age got an actual Major League wooden bat. Thats why I dont like large market teams and frankly thats what I'm most upset with in sports. Its not about us anymore. The players dont play for the fans. There was a time when it was like that. Pay a quarter. See a double header. No free agency. Guys got what they got and they played ball.

They once asked Joe Dimaggio why he played so hard. "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first or last time, I owe him my best." Ask yourself if you truly believe thats what the organizations are about today. Are you getting your best when you go to a major market sporting event?

No comments:

Post a Comment